Friday, April 12, 2013

How not to sell a house... ensuring your home shows well


As an experienced real estate salesperson, I’d like to think that I’ve seen a lot when it comes to home sales. I’m talking the good, the bad, the ugly, and the just plain weird. From tiny cottages to luxury mansions; from quirky design trends to homes that are literally falling apart at the seams; I’ve seen a lot. That being said, I still shake my head a little when I see some of the properties that occasionally hit the market, and the way they are being marketed.

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have caught my posts this week about a property that I viewed in Bolton. To put it bluntly, the home showed terribly. In desperate need of repairs and serious cleaning, I wondered how anybody would ever be able to sell it.  It got me thinking about the numerous mistakes people make when trying to sell their homes. While there are probably too many to name, I thought it would be a good idea to share some of the basics, especially considering we are heading into the hottest time of year for home sales in the GTA.






The first thing, also perhaps the most important yet most frequently overlooked, is the importance of curb appeal. Even if your home isn’t professionally landscaped to the extreme, be sure to at least cut the grass, pull the weeds and spruce up the overall look of your home on the outside before you invite buyers for showings. Another basic rule? Getting rid of the mess and the personal belongings. When staging your home for sale, remove all family photos, nick-knacks and general clutter. Buyers want to envision themselves living in the home, which can be hard to do when everywhere they turn there are photos of you on family vacations, or your favourite books and movies lying around.

If things are broken, fix them. Do you really want the liability of a prospective buyer injuring themselves while viewing your home, just because you neglected to take care of a simple repair? It blows my mind to see how many owners go through the trouble of ‘staging’ their homes for sale, when there are significant defects throughout the property in plain view.

Finally, if you are going to stage your home for sale, seek the advice of a professional. Your idea of what is ‘stylish’ might not be the best design choice for the masses. A professional  (and honest) Realtor can help you point out areas of your home that stand out, and could use a little bit of extra attention.

Getting your home ready for sale? The tips above are great starting points, but there’s so much more to consider. Feel free to call me to find out more…I’d be happy to provide my opinion and advice at any time!

Cheers!

Stuart Sinclair
Sales Representative
The Stuart Sinclair Team
RE/Max West Realty Inc., Brokerage
Independently Owned and Operated
Office: 905-857-7653
Toll Free: 1-866-219-7770
Email: info@TheStuartSinclairTeam.com
Website: www.TheStuartSinclairTeam.com


No comments:

Post a Comment